Upstate Deals and Doings – October 4, 2018
Deals, news and events for the investment community across Upstate New York.
Published online and emailed to members every other week.
MEMBER SPOTLIGHT: JEFF LEWIS
From Early Stage to M&A
A partner with The Bonadio Group, Jeff is charged with overseeing the firm’s Transaction Advisory Services and Private Equity teams, but that is only part of what he does. He’s a CPA, CVA and CFO, and for over 20 years has been advising clients in M&A activities and accessing capital. Read more.
- PostProcess Technologies, a Buffalo-based developer of an automated industrial software and machinery, raised $6.64 million of convertible debt funding
- TX RX Systems, an Angola-based manufacturer of technical components for radio-based communications systems, was acquired by Indutrade
*Have a deal you’d like to share? Submit your deal here.
- Excell Partners announced the launch of its new $25M FLX Fund. This fund will provide the critical capital needed to seed and grow new high-tech companies in the Finger Lakes Region, in industries such as advanced manufacturing, life and material sciences, optics, photonics and imaging and others.
- In 2018 to date, VCs have poured more than $2B into startups in the food and beverage sector globally. Pitchbook has aggregated the data on the venture-funded companies in the industry; check out the findings on food tech startups and the investors who fund them.
- Upstate Capital has opened nominations for this year’s Annual Awards Celebration. The event celebrates the investment community by highlighting the investments and individuals that are making up a thriving ecosystem in Upstate New York. Find more information, submit your nomination and register for the event here.
UPSTATE CAPITAL EVENTS
- October 10 – Rochester – Building a Venture-Backable Business – To shed light on what it takes to raise institutional funds, Upstate Capital is bringing investors and venture-backed CEOs to share their knowledge with the Upstate New York entrepreneurial community. Register now.
- October 25 – Hudson Valley – Impact Investing in Place – Upstate Capital is hosting an event designed to introduce and highlight several approaches to place-based investing, including for-profit and non-profit seed funding models and the new Opportunity Zones programs. Register today.
- November 7 – New York City – Upstate Capital is hosting a members-only reception following NYSERDA’s Green Innovation Showcase. The event will bring together Upstate Capital members and board directors to network with executives, business leaders, entrepreneurs and investors interested in the green energy space.
*Members can contact Bailey for discount registration codes.
November 7 – 8 – Albany – Commericalization Competition 2018 – Fuzehub’s $350,000 competition is a two-day event that will feature a pitch competition showcasing innovative early-stage companies, panel discussions and networking opportunities.
November 13 -14 – Syracuse – MedTech 2018 – New York’s premier bio/med conference is bigger and better than ever, with new features like an expanded Tech Showcase with the vendors and partners who will move your business forward and value-packed educational programs that will bring you up to speed on the latest in regulation & policy, innovation & technology and startups and business acceleration.
November 15 – Syracuse – NEXT 2018 – Now in its fifth year, the NEXT conference focuses on innovation in technology, manufacturing, and biotech. The event brings together fast-track companies, managers, researchers, medical professionals, investors, and entrepreneurs to meet and learn from each other and from global thought leaders and industry experts.
* Please note: Upstate Deals and Doings will be produced and distributed on the first Thursday of each month.