Upstate Deals and Doings
March 7, 2019
Deals, news and events for the investment community across Upstate New York.
What’s Next for Women Tech Entrepreneurs?
Tech leaders from upstate New York share their perspective as Ithaca gets ready to host
Upstate Capital’s Women, Money & Tech event March 19
Here are some highlights from the most recent deals done in Upstate New York
- STAMBA, an Albany-based provider of organic food supplements intended to help people boost their immune strength and internal defense factors, raised $500,000 of seed funding from Sekhmet Ventures and others
- CleanFiber, a Buffalo-based producer of cellulose-based insulation material intended to offer better fire insulation, raised $600,000 of venture funding
- The Vale Fox Distillery, a Poughkeepsie-based provider of alcoholic beverages, raised $1.41 million of angel funding
- Chess Mobile Health, an East Rochester-based developer of a healthcare mobile application designed to relapse prevention to people after they leave treatment, raised $1.9 million of angel funding
- Audios Ventures, a Troy-based retailer specializing in the restoration and enhancement of classic loudspeakers, and sales of new and pre-owned audio components and systems, raised over $6 million of early stage funding
- Taconic Biosciences, a Rensselaer-based developer of genetically engineered models, was acquired by H.I.G. Capital
- Buffalo Filter, a Lancaster-based manufacturer and supplier of surgical smoke evacuation equipment, and subsidiary of Filtration Group, was acquired by CONMED for $365 millionVader Systems, an East Amherst-based manufacturer of liquid metal jet printer, was acquired by Xerox
- Solid Sealing Technology, a Watervliet-based designer and manufacturer of ceramic-to-metal feedthroughs and connectors, was acquired by HEICO
- SmartEdge, a Tonawanda-based provider of facility control products, systems, and support services, was acquired by U&S Services, in a deal led by Paramax Corporation
- ECustoms, a Buffalo-based developer of global trade compliance software designed to deploy and facilitate trading services, was acquired by Descartes Systems Group for CAD 330 million
Have a deal you’d like to share? Submit it here!
Business First has announced the 2019 Power 250: the publication’s annual list of the most influential people in Western New York.
LaunchNY has received $300,000 in federal funding to promote growth by startups in 27 counties of upstate New York. The funding was provided by the federal Economic Development Administration’s Regional Innovation Strategies Program.
The New York Business Plan Competition is accepting applications for judges, mentors and volunteers. The NYBPC is part of E^3 Conference, the place to be for innovation and entrepreneurship in Albany April 25-26.
UPSTATE CAPITAL EVENTS
March 19 – Ithaca – Women, Money and Tech: Gain insights on why leadership teams with women outperform all-male teams, learn strategies for improving your business performance, and develop relationships with people and organizations focused on advancing gender equity in venture capital and entrepreneurship. Register today!
April 25 – 26 – Albany – E^3 Conference – E^3 is the premier event in the Northeast for entrepreneurs, angel investors, and ecosystem builders. E^3 is for new and experienced angel/seed investors, entrepreneurs and entrepreneurial support program managers. Thursday’s focus will be on angel investing. New York’s intercollegiate business plan competition takes place Friday. Judging and mentoring will be facilitated through the NYBPC. Friday’s expo with workshops will promote connections across the entrepreneurial ecosystem. (details at NYBPC.org)
May 15 – Buffalo – Buffalo 2019 PE Summit – Save the date! Featuring Tom Stewart, Executive Director of the National Center for the Middle Market, and private equity panel discussion with Graycliff Partners, Hamilton Lane and more.
March 13 – Buffalo – MedTech’s Kimberly Clark Lunch and Learn: Contamination Protection – Are you Doing All You Can to Protect Your Process and Your People from Contamination? Hear more about it at this complimentary lunch & learn event presented by a Kimberly-Clark Professional and Fisher Scientific.
March 15 – Ithaca – Biotech I-Corps Short Course – Cornell University will host the Biotech I-Corps Short Course from Friday, March 15 to Friday, March 29. The free course will feature entrepreneurship training for researchers and scientists and provide coaching from industry experts.
April 9 – Syracuse – GENIUS NY Finals Night– Don’t miss GENIUS NY Finals Night, where five exciting drone startup companies will pitch their plans to a panel of judges before a live audience, as they compete for a total of $3 million in cash prizes, including a $1 million grand prize.