Upstate Deals and Doings – January 3, 2018
Deals, news and events for the investment community across Upstate New York.
Published online and emailed to member every other week.
Annual Report published
Investment trends, transaction highlights and statistics for Upstate New York angel, seed, venture, growth and private equity investment all in one place. Check out Upstate Capital's comprehensive report.
- President Trump signed into law H.R. 1, known as the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act, which makes widespread changes to the Internal Revenue Code. Almost all of its provisions, including a lower corporate tax rate of 21% and lower individual income tax rates, went into effect Jan. 1. Upstate Capital member EFPR Group reviews the changes in what is considered "the most significant tax legislation in decades".
- According to Buffalo Business First, high-tech companies in Buffalo raised nearly $80M in VC and Angel deals this year. "This year's early-stage deal activity was marked by a newfound diversity, with a growing collection of startups receiving funding from a widespread network of investors." (paywall).
Upstate Capital events
- January 18 - Buffalo - 2018 Trends: Investing, Technology and Taxes. Early registration discount ends 1/5/18. Upstate Capital is hosting 2018 Trends in Buffalo NY to bring together members of the business and entrepreneurial communities to discuss investment trends and outlooks for the year ahead. Register before January 5 to receive an early-bird discount.
- February 7- Ithaca - Starting Up and Staying Here: Immigrant Entrepreneurship. Upstate Capital is hosting an event to highlight the opportunities, challenges and successes for immigrant entrepreneurs in Upstate New York. Featuring immigrant founders pitching their startups and conversation with John Hill, VP of Network at Techstars, and Stephen Yale-Loehr, immigration law expert, Attorney of Counsel at Miller Mayer LLP and Professor of Immigration Practice at Cornell Law School. Register today.
- Albany - January 8 - BizLab-Clarkson Lunchtime Entrepreneurship Series - Nicole Snow. The BizLab-Clarkson Lunchtime Entrepreneurship Series returns with Nicole Snow, founder and CEO of Darn Good Yarn.
- Webinar - January 10 - Findings from New Angel Research Could Improve Your Investing. What makes an angel investor successful? That's one of the many questions answered in The American Angel, an in-depth study of 1,659 angels and how they invest. Hear report authors talk about angel investing today on this ACA Webinar Series.