Upstate Deals and Doings – May 9, 2018
- Natcore Technology, a Rochester-based developer of silicon cell technology created to make solar energy cost-competitive with energy derived from fossil fuels, received CAD 980,000 of development capital from undisclosed investors through a private placement.
- Zarrilli's Deli, an Irvington-based provider of catering services, was acquired by an undisclosed investor.
- PostProcess Technologies, a Buffalo-based provider of automated and intelligent post-processing solutions for 3D printed parts, raised $7M in seed funding (paywall).
- Create O&P, a Lake Placid-based manufacturer and provider of a medical-grade 3D printing system that designs and prints custom orthotics and prosthetics, raised $100,000 in funds from Eastern New York Angels (paywall).
- Key Insurance & Benefits Services, Inc., a Buffalo-based regional provider of risk management and employee benefit solutions, was acquired by USI Insurance Services for an undisclosed amount.
*Have a deal you'd like to share? Submit your deal here.
- The third round of GENIUS NY has been announced. GENIUS NY is the world's largest business competition focused on unmanned systems. Rick Clonan, VP of Innovation and Entrepreneurship at CenterState CEO said, "This program has proven itself over the past two rounds as a groundbreaking tool for growing industry-leading unmanned systems companies. Over two years, we have invested nearly $6 million in 12 high-quality teams."
- Northeast UAS Airspace Integration Research Alliance has selected key partners in the development of New York's unmanned aircraft system traffic management corridor in Central New York, including Gryphon Sensors and Raytheon.
Upstate capital events
- June 13 - Hudson Valley - Planning for the Future: Perpetuation + Succession. Upstate Capital has teamed up with Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley to host an event to bring together members of the business and entrepreneurial communities from across New York to discuss family business perpetuation and succession planning in the Hudson Valley. Event is by invitation only.
- July 26-27 - Saratoga - Investor Forum. An event designed for investors, transaction professionals and high performing executives that provides valuable content coupled with high quality relationship buidling in beautiful and historic Saratoga.
- August 1 - Ithaca - Investor Connections for Clean Energy Startups - Upstate Capital is hosting an evening of networking for angel, seed, and venture capital investors to connect with energy and sustainability startups and established companies in the Southern Tier startup ecosystem in Upstate New York.
- May 18 - Albany - KeyBank's Annual Key4Women Forum -Entrepreneurship: From Engineer to Entrepreneur, 5 Lessons Learned. A nationwide community of entrepreneurial and executive business women brought together by KeyBank to help them thrive.
- May 23-25 - Cooperstown - NYSEDC 2018 Annual Meeting, The Evolution of the Economic Developer. In a 21st century economy, the term “economic development” has grown to have a variety of meanings. Gone are the days of just trying to attract a company with economic incentives, building a facility, and creating jobs.
- June 11 - Albany - NYEDC 2018 Basic Economic Development Course. The Basic Economic Development Course (BEDC) provides an introduction to the concepts and practices of a broad economic development program. Through classroom instruction, peer learning, and case studies, the New York BEDC offers an immersive and comprehensive educational experience in economic development fundamentals.
- June 28 - Rochester - Luminate's Light Tomorrow with Today, an exciting Demo Day event in the Big Tent of the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival! All 10 finalist companies will be pitching their optics, photonics, and imaging startups, and one team will be awarded $1 million in follow-on funding from the Empire State Development's Finger Lakes Forward initiative.
- July 10-11 - New York City - The 18th annual New York Venture Summit, presented by youngStartup Ventures, is the premier industry gathering connecting venture capitalists, corporate VCs, angel investors, technology transfer professionals, senior executives of early stage and emerging growth companies, university researchers, incubators and premier service providers.