Upstate Deals and Doings – July 2, 2018
Deals, news and events for the investment community across Upstate New York.
Published online and emailed to members every other week.
Only 29 tickets left!
11th Annual Saratoga Forum - come for expert content paired with unparalleled networking July 26-27 in Saratoga, featuring Howard Morgan, B Capital Group & First Round Capital, Frank McEvoy, NYS Common Retirement Fund, Hugh Johnson, and many more great speakers.
Sign up now and you could win a helicopter tour!
- Sonneman - A Way of Light, a Larchmont-based designer and manufacturer of high-end architectural lighting, was acquired by Dunes Point Capital through an LBO. M&T Bank and GSO Capital Partners provided debt financing.
- Marli Manufacturing, a Johnson City-based manufacturer of automotive aftermarket mechanical components, was acquired by Auto-Vehicle Parts Company, via its financial sponsor Fidus Investment and Tenex Capital Management through an LBO.
- DatapointLabs, an Ithaca-based provider of material testing services, was acquired by Applus+.
- D&D Power, a Latham-based provider of electrical power lines construction and maintenance services, was acquired by BHI Energy, via its financial sponsors AE Industrial Partners and AEA Investors through an LBO.
- Contec Group, a Schenectady-based provider of set-top-box repair and maintenance services to the digital cable industry, received $12 million of debt financing from AloStar Capital Finance.
- Pike Cos, a Rochester-based construction contracting company, acquired BCI Construction, builders of big construction projects, like Global Foundries.
- Chobani, a Greek yogurt company founded in Upstate New York, is parting ways with TPG, and bringing on a new investor: the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan.
*Have a deal you'd like to share? Submit your deal here.
- The movie business is thriving in the Hudson Valley. Mary Stuart Masterson shared her vision for growing this industry at Upstate Capital’s 2017 Annual Awards Celebration.
- Upstate NY colleges with the highest-paid grads: six Syracuse colleges make ranking.
- Amazon is rolling out its own fleet of vans to deliver packages to US customers’ doors in the ecommerce group’s latest push for greater control of its sprawling logistics network. The company is encouraging individuals to launch delivery businesses that will lease van fleets from Amazon, which will offer discounts on uniforms, fuel and insurance coverage (paywall).
Upstate capital events
- July 26-27 - Saratoga Forum - Upstate Capital's annual marquee event for investors, transaction professionals and executives - featuring Howard Morgan, Frank McEvoy, Hugh Johnson, and many other great speakers. Valuable content coupled with great relationship building in beautiful and historic Saratoga.
- August 1 - Ithaca - Investor Connections for Clean Energy Startups - Upstate Capital is hosting an evening of networking for angel, seed and venture capital investors to connect with energy and sustainability startups and established companies in the Southern Tier startup ecosystem in Upstate New York.
- July 10-11 - New York City - The 18th annual New York Venture Summit, presented by youngStartup Ventures connects venture capitalists, corporate VCs, angel investors, technology transfer professionals, senior executives of early stage and emerging growth companies, university researchers, incubators and premier service providers.
- October 2 - Syracuse - 2018 Upstate Unleashed Conference and Awards - More than 400 entrepreneurial leaders will come together for this event featuring CEOs of our region’s fastest growing companies and celebrating startup ecosystem builders. Join UVC in welcoming Netflix Co-founder Marc Randolph back to Upstate NY.