Upstate Deals and Doings – August 1, 2018
- Zeem Solutions, a Schenectady-based provider of EV service intended to promote widespread commercial-electric vehicle adoption, raised $293,250 of convertible debt financing
- Acuity Polymers, a Rochester-based provider of vision care products intended to offer workhorse material for advanced corneal and scleral gas permeable contact lenses, raised $375,000 in angel funding
- Pharmapotheca A, a Delmar-based developer of novel pharmaceutical technologies designed for the treatment of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder in children and adults, raised $585,000 of convertible debt funding
- Stampede Presentation Products, a Buffalo-based distributor of presentation and home theater products, was acquired by DCC
- Menter, Rudin & Trivelpiece, a Syracuse-based provider of legal services in New York, was acquired by Barclay Damon
- Crooked Carrot, a Trumansburg-based provider of food processing services, was acquired by Headwater Food Hub
- Brand Integrity, a Rochester-based developer of an employee engagement technology and consulting platform, was acquired by Reward Gateway, via its financial sponsors Great Hill Partners and Columbia Partners Private Capital, through an LBO
*Have a deal you'd like to share? Submit your deal here.
- 43North, the Buffalo-based business competition awards $5 million each year to a collection of startup companies. Here are this year’s local semifinalists (paywall).
- The $57.5 billion of VC invested in US companies through 2Q 2018 is higher than six of the past 10 full-year totals, and puts the year on pace to surpass $100 billion in deal value for the first time since the dot-com era, says Pitchbook in its release of theVenture Monitor reporton venture activity for 2Q 2018.
Upstate capital events
- August 1 - Ithaca - Investor Connections for Clean Energy Startups - Join us for an evening of networking for angel, seed, and venture capital investors to connect with energy and sustainability startups and established companies in the Southern Tier startup ecosystem in Upstate New York.
- September 26 - Syracuse - The Future of Food - Highlighting the next generation of food and ag tech. Event includes an investor panel discussion, startup pitches and a tour of a 1200-head dairy farm in Central NY, sponsored by Bond, Schoenick and King. Register today. Members can contact Bailey for a discount code.
- October 25 - Hudson Valley - Impact Investing in Place - Upstate Capital is hosting an event designed to introduce and highlight several approaches to place-based investing, including for-profit and non-profit seed funding models and the new Opportunity Zones program. Register today.
- August 2 - Troy - IgniteU Startup Showcase - The 2018 IgniteU Summer Accelerator is coming to a close and they would like to welcome you to their end of the summer Startup Showcase. The teams have been working hard all summer long for this event and are excited to show everyone what they have achieved!
- August 8 - Syracuse - Drones over Downtown - Join the drone community at the second annual GENIUS NY Drones Over Downtown on August 8. Enjoy live demos, presentations, local drone and tech vendors and fun things like 3D drone simulations, a net for first time flyers, and free giveaways.Drones Over Downtown is a community event that educates and promotes drone technology and the growing unmanned aerial systems (UAS) ecosystem in Central New York and the Mohawk Valley.
- August 9 - Syracuse - StartFast Demo Day - featuring keynote Jim Boeheim, Syracuse Hall of Fame basketball coach and noted investor discuss trends in early-stage tech and the revitalization of CNY's economy. See pitches from five international companies seeking investment.