Upstate Deals and Doings – April 25, 2018
- Medforce Technologies, a Suffern-based developer of healthcare software, was acquired by Ideagen for $8.7 million.
- Pactech Packaging, a Rochester-based manufacturer of packaging product, was acquired by ProAmpac, via its financial sponsors Ardian, Pritzker Group Private Capital and Triangle Capital through an LBO for an undisclosed sum.
- OptiGen (DNA Diagnosis), an Ithaca-based provider of DNA-based diagnosis and information services, was acquired by Mars for an undisclosed amount.
- CHA Consulting, an Albany-based provider of design, engineering and consulting services, was acquired by First Reserve through an SBO for an undisclosed amount.
- Anaren, an East Syracuse-based designer, manufacturer and supplier of microwave components and sub assemblies to the defense electronics market, was acquired by TTM Technologies for $775 million.
- One Stone Technology, a Cazenovia-based developer of a patient engagement software designed for activating patients through personalized messaging, raised $350,000 of angel funding.
- Orange Bank & Trust (Fishkill Branch), was acquired by Salisbury Bank and Trust Company for an undisclosed amount.
*Have a deal you'd like to share? Submit your deal here.
- More than 85% of executives surveyed expect the global M&A market to improve over the next 12 months. Encouraged by recent policy changes and positive economic growth, 86% of executives surveyed expect the global M&A market to improve over the next 12 months, according to Ernst & Young LLP’s twice-annual Global Capital Confidence Barometer.
- Worried that pressures to mitigate climate change could eventually curb demand for their fossil fuel products, oil and gas firms are making investments in an increasingly diverse array of businesses, including cleaner energy technologies, according to the New York Times. Evidence is seen in Upstate New York, with nine deals in the energy sector reported in first quarter.
Upstate capital events
- April 26 - Albany - Managing Risk and Strategic Growth - Upstate Capital and the Center for Economic Growth are co-hosting an event for growth-oriented companies. Speakers include successful company executives who've had exits, investors, entrepreneurs and business leaders from across the region. Register here.
- April 27 - Albany - 9th Annual New York State Business Plan Competition- Approximately 120 teams hailing from across New York State will vie for 18 prizes including a grand prize of $20k. More information here.
- May 2 - Buffalo - Upstate Capital Reception following the Bright Buffalo Niagara Entrepreneur Expo, an annual event where high-tech companies from Buffalo pitch to potential investors, and University of Buffalo showcases its connections between innovation and industry. Register here.
- June 13 - Hudson Valley - Planning for the Future: Perpetuation + Succession. Capital has teamed up with Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley to host an event to bring together members of the business and entrepreneurial communities from across New York to discuss family business perpetuation and succession planning in the Hudson Valley. Event is by invitation only.
- July 26-27 - Saratoga - Investor Forum. An event designed for investors, transaction professionals and high performing executives that provides valuable content coupled with high quality relationship buidling in beautiful and historic Saratoga.
- April 26 - New York City - Demo Day with Quake Capital - Join MicroEra Power and other startups present at the Quake Capital Spring 2018 Demo Day.
- May 2 - Bright Buffalo Niagara Entrepreneur Expo is an annual event for high-tech companies from Buffalo pitch to potential investors and University of Buffalo showcases its connections between innovation and industry.
- May 4 - Binghamton - Southern Tier Startup Summit - a celebration of entrepreneurship and its impact on the community. Register here.
- May 18 - Albany - KeyBank's Annual Key4Women Forum -Entrepreneurship: From Engineer to Entrepreneur, 5 Lessons Learned. A nationwide community of entrepreneurial and executive business women brought together by KeyBank to help them thrive.
- May 23-25 - Cooperstown - NYSEDC 2018 Annual Meeting, The Evolution of the Economic Developer. In a 21st Century Economy, the term “economic development” has grown to have a variety of meanings. Gone are the days of just trying to attract a company with economic incentives, building a facility, and creating jobs.
- June 11 - Albany - NYEDC 2018 Basic Economic Development Course. The Basic Economic Development Course (BEDC) provides an introduction to the concepts and practices of a broad economic development program. Through classroom instruction, peer learning, and case studies, the New York BEDC offers an immersive and comprehensive educational experience in economic development fundamentals.
- June 28 - Rochester - Luminate's Light Tomorrow with Today, an exciting Demo Day event in the Big Tent of the Xerox Rochester International Jazz Festival! All 10 finalist companies will be pitching their optics, photonics, and imaging startups, and one team will be awarded $1 million in follow-on funding from the Empire State Development's Finger Lakes Forward initiative.
- July 10-11 - New York City - The 18th annual New York Venture Summit, presented by youngStartup Ventures, is the premier industry gathering connecting venture capitalists, corporate VCs, angel investors, technology transfer professionals, senior executives of early stage and emerging growth companies, university researchers, incubators and premier service providers.